Teh URL

Monday, April 18, 2005

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

Delegated Review (delegated by Dylan)
Released: 1982
Download It (8.0 MB)

Ok, I'll admit that up until now my only exposure to Springsteen has been his two vacuous mid-80s hits - the hideously over-used Born In the U.S.A. and, the other one ... um, Dancing In the Dark? I also really liked 2 Live Crew's "Banned in the U.S.A." which stole the riff from Born ...

Um, yeah. Be Amazed! at the extent of my musical pedigree.

So while being vaguely aware that his earlier work held a lot of respect, it never really occurred to me to give any of it a passing glance, probably because a) I've never been into the whole "singer/songwriter" thing, b) I'm not going to connect with tales of working class / middle america, c) I'm too busy examining the finer subtleties of Billy Corgan's collection of poetry, Blinking With Fists

Actually, c) was a joke, but I digress.

The lyrics in this song are good. It seems to be about a killer, his lover, and the fate they meet in an electric chair, and it's written really well. Unfortunately, the music is not so good. Well, it's harmless. It kind of twinkles away in the background like a starry night, but just like a starry night, you only notice it if you remember to go outside and look up in the first place.

I really wanted to like this. I even inserted it into my high-rotation "playlist of the week". Thing is, everytime when Winamp decided it's turn had come for an airing, it had all the impact of a billy corgan sonnet.

4/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home