Teh URL

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Gloria Jones - Tainted Love

Track Review
Released: 1964
Download It (2.6MB)

No, it wasn't until recently that I stumbled upon the fact Soft Cell's early-80s stark new-romantic masterpiece is in fact a cover of a motown-inspired 60s soul hit!

Soft Cell's version being a favourite-song-ever from my childhood, listening to the original holds considerable curiosity value for me.

However, I'm forced into the strange situation of being unable to entangle the version I'm so familiar with from the original - so much so that when the lovely Gloria croons "sometimes I feel i've got to ... " I instantly crave the 80s BLOOP BLOOP noise. You know ... "run away, i've got to ... BLOOP BLOOP" keyboard noise.

But there's no BLOOP BLOOP here.

Oh - and as a lot of you may remember, Marilyn Manson also covered this tune in the late 90s. As with most things that insipid non-talent did, it blew chunks.

5/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home